Chocolate porridge

22 June 2014

So here goes my first real post, a recipe, albeit a very simple one, chocolately, to fit in with the name of my blog. It's not so much a recipe really, as a breakfast idea, which can be easily tweaked to suit your tastes.

Chocolate porridge topped with raspberries

Until quite recently, I thought porridge was disgusting. This may have had something to do with the fact that when I was a kid, Mum thought that porridge was best served completely plain and unadorned, just oats, water and a bit of milk. I now know better, and now that it's winter, I have porridge for breakfast almost every morning.

I've tried a few variations, but this is the one I have most often, because chocolate. You can add a little sugar if you need it, but taste it first without as the banana adds quite a bit of sweetness, while the banana flavour is mostly masked by the cocoa.

Chocolate Porridge

Serves: 1

Ingredients
  • What I call a heaped teaspoon
    1 large overripe banana, or 1.5 small ones
  • 1 heaped teaspoon cocoa (when I say heaped, I mean heaped... it's probably closer to a tablespoon, but I think I feel better about myself when I can call it a teaspoon)
  • Generous pinch shredded coconut (about 1 tablespoon)
  • Scant 1/3 cup rolled oats (you may want more if you have a large appetite in the morning)
  • 1 to 1 1/3 cups soymilk, or to desired consistency, I like mine pretty loose
  • Small handful of berries to top - I'm currently using either frozen raspberries or frozen blueberries, but strawberries are great too, and fresh is better. If you're using larger berries, cut them up first (don't do what I did in the last picture, it's a pain to eat)

Method
  1. Mash the banana
  2. Mashed banana
  3. Mix in the cocoa
  4. Mashed banana with cocoa
  5. Mix in coconut and oats
  6. Banana, cocoa, coconut and oats
  7. Mix in soymilk, cover with a plate, and microwave for 1 minute, then wander off and do something, turn on the computer, check blog feeds, get dressed or whatever, for about 3-5 minutes.
  8. Mix thoroughly, then return to microwave, and repeat step 4.
  9. Top with berries. If the berries are frozen, you may wish to return to microwave for a further 30 seconds, or just stir through and let the heat from the porridge melt them.

What's your favourite everyday breakfast?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That looks amazing!

    Great start to the blog. I'm looking forward to seeing (and, with any luck, eating) more delicious looking food.

    ReplyDelete